Many people don’t take a great deal of notice of their car insurance and, when the time comes for their auto insurance to be renewed, they simply renew it with their existing insurer. If you don’t shop around for car insurance, then you will end up paying more than you need to and, if you don’t check the small print on your policy, you might actually not be insured at all. So, if you don’t give a second thought to your motor vehicle insurance, check out these facts and tips about car insurance that might surprise you.
1. Pay your insurance premiums in one go
It may be convenient to pay your car insurance in twelve monthly payments, but it will nearly always be far more expensive than paying the whole amount up front. Most insurers add an exorbitant price for spreading the payments. It could cost you as much as 30% more.
2. Don’t overdo the excess
A lot of people get caught out by agreeing to an insurance excess over and above what they can really afford to pay. Yes, a high excess will reduce your car insurance premiums, but don’t forget that, if you have an accident, you are going to have to find that cash for repairs.
3. Tell the truth to your insurer
Be honest about what you use your car for, where you park it, and who is going to drive it. If you say that your car will be locked in a garage overnight, and it is stolen from the street outside your home, you could be in for a nasty surprise when you come to make a claim.
4. Check how comprehensive your fully comprehensive cover really is
The word ‘fully’ in fully comprehensive can mean different things to different insurers, especially if you opted for the cheapest policy that you could find. Typically, the cheaper car insurance policies won’t include a courtesy car, windscreen cover, or legal cover, so it’s worth checking your policy to see exactly what you are getting for your money.
5. Don’t make a claim unless you really have to
If you have a minor accident, it is very often cheaper to pay for the repairs yourself than to claim it on your insurance. You should still tell the insurer about the accident, because that is often a policy requirement, but claiming may well result in an increase your premiums and excess.
6. Your premiums can still rise, even if you have protected your no claims bonus
If you have an accident, your premiums could still rise, even if you have protected your no claims bonus. Your percentage bonus may well stay intact, but the underlying cost of your insurance will rise and, therefore, you will pay more.
7. Always take photographs if you have an accident
If you do have an accident, however slight the damage may seem, always take photographs of both your vehicle and the other persons. Unfortunately, there are a lot of dishonest people who will exaggerate their claims to their insurance company and lie about the circumstances of an accident. If you can, get the contact details of any witnesses too.
8. Don’t just automatically renew, shop around first
Insurance companies offer their best deals to new customers, so it is always worth shopping around for your car insurance. You can get your insurance broker to do for you, or check out a price comparison site, but always get several quotes before you decide.
9. Always notify your insurer of any changes in circumstances
Don’t forget to notify your insurer of any changes in circumstances, or you could invalidate your insurance. That includes moving home, changing jobs, any modifications you make to the vehicle and even if you have started driving your car to work.
10. Don’t rely solely on comparison websites for the best deal
Don’t forget that not all the insurance companies allow their details to be published on price comparison websites. To enable these companies to compete, they often offer better deals than you will find on the comparison sites.
If you’re in the market for new auto insurance, Progressive car insurance company may be a great option for you. After being in the business of auto insurance for 70 years, Progressive has become the nation’s third largest provider to millions of customers.
With six major countrywide locations in Austin, Cleveland, Colorado Springs, Phoenix, Sacramento, and Tampa, Progressive is fully staffed with representatives ready to help you find the best coverage possible.
But, that’s not all they offer. Let’s take a look at what else you get when purchasing car insurance from Progressive:
Total Loss Concierge
Just found out your car was totaled? Don’t have the time to shop for a new vehicle? No worries. Progressive car insurance company will do it for you. All you need to do is tell them what you’re looking for and what you can afford. Progressive will do the legwork for you by calling dealers and lenders, getting results fast. Really, it’s as simple as that.
When you have car insurance from Progressive for four years and remain accident-free for three consecutive years, your rates won’t go up after an accident. The nice thing about this is that accident forgiveness is built right into your policy as a reward for being a safe driver. No extra charge and no hidden fees. It’s just their way of saying thank you for being a valued customer.
Immediate Response Vehicles
More commonly known as IRVs, these vehicles will travel to wherever your car is to assess the damage. The minute you call in to report your claim, an IRV will be on its way to take pictures, talk to witness and make an on-site estimate so you don’t have to wait. It’s efficient, it’s friendly and it’s only from Progressive.
Auto Insurance Discounts
There aren’t many consumers that dislike receiving discounts. In all honesty, who doesn’t love to save some money when they can? With Progressive car insurance company, you can get those sweet little discounts for a number of reasons. Things like E-signing, paying in full, covering multiple cars and owning a home are just some of the ways you can save on your auto insurance instantly. Keep in mind that certain discounts vary depending on where you live. In other words, not every state offers the same types of discounts. Therefore, talking with a representative will help you learn what you qualify for.
So, you get discounts on your auto insurance. Now what? Well, it doesn’t stop there. Progressive offers more than just discounts off your car insurance. The type of vehicle you have covered (i.e. motorcycle, boat, etc), will determine what discounts you are eligible for.
For you motorcycle drivers out there, Progressive offers discounts for Honda Rider’s Club of America (HRCA) members, homeowners and customers covering multiple bikes.
Want to float your boat without spending too much? Having a boat less than ten years old, less than 27 feet and less than 250 horsepower will allow you to save.
If you have a mini-motor or pop-up RV you can catch a break too. What about owners of large RVs? Well, if you’re married, that’s enough to get a discount as well.
The list goes on…
Progressive offers you more than just car insurance. Working with Progressive car insurance company allows you to get coverage for motorcycles, RVs, boats, snowmobiles, homes (whether you own or rent) and pets. Yes, it’s true–your valued family pets can now be covered for accident injury if they ride in the car with you.
Compare Progressive Auto Insurance Quotes
The bottom line is that ratings have shown favor on Progressive car insurance company. With its quick and friendly service, discount programs and multi-coverage, customers have been more than pleased. Granted, there may be another insurance company better suited for you. However, Progressive’s consistent record of integrity and dedication to its customers, makes them worth looking into.
According to the World Car Market, Renault is one of the top ten car brands in the world today. With such a quality investment, it’s important to get the right insurance. Even with the growing number of online comparison sites, it’s not always easy to find the right level of cover at an attractive price. Here are some tips that might help you save money on car insurance for your Renault:
1. Don’t hesitate to switch insurers:
There are plenty of people who stick with the same insurer for twenty years. Perhaps they’re happy with the service they’ve obtained in the past, or maybe they like the speed with which their insurer processes claims. That’s fine – if you’re 100% happy with your current insurer, by all means hang on to them. However, if your reason for staying with one company has more to do with apathetic inertia than customer satisfaction, you could be paying too much by not bothering to investigate the competition.
2. Add your most responsible female family member as a named driver on your policy:
The more good drivers that are designated ‘named drivers’ on your policy, the better the insurer likes it. If the added driver is a female with a long, clean driving history and no previous claims, that’s even better. From the insurer’s point of view, adding a responsible driver to your cover helps spread the risk. If the risk is reduced, there’s a chance the cost of your premium may be too. It doesn’t actually matter if this person hardly ever drives your Renault.
3. Practice the fine art of bargaining:
Always ask for a cheaper price on your premium. If you own a smaller car like a Renault Twingo, your insurance shouldn’t be costing you as much as what your neighbour pays for his Hummer. If it is, you need to do some serious negotiating (or find another insurer).
Once you’ve sorted out the fine details and your insurer has provided a price, it’s time for some haggling. The trick is not to ask for too much of a reduction (5-10% is reasonable), because you’ll probably get an outright refusal. Also, if you try the ever-popular “Insurer B will insure me for 20% less” assertion (which you’ve just made up), the person in front of you will suspect that either (a) you’re not a very nice person for lying to them, (b) you are a bit silly for not grabbing that other insurance, or (c) you must have been quoted a very basic, no-frills policy which you’ll be very sorry about later. Most car insurers have a pretty good handle on what everyone else in the business is charging, so don’t assume you know more on the subject than they do.
Even if you only get a premium reduction of 2%, that’s better than nothing. Polite haggling has become more socially acceptable, so don’t be afraid to try it with the car insurance for your Renault.
4. Be sure to provide the insurer with all your good news:
If you have never had to make a car insurance claim, this is something your insurer should know. If you recently completed an advanced driver safety course, this too may help reduce your premium.
Always provide any positive facts that might influence your insurer to view you as a lesser risk. If your car is protected within the confines of a locked garage at night, this will be viewed favourably. If you habitually use a quality steering lock or have installed a car security system, let your insurer know. On the other hand, if you have a propensity for backing up into wooden sign posts, this might be something to keep to yourself…
5. Utilise the wonders of the Internet:
There are now a plethora of insurance comparison websites to choose from, and these are one reason vehicle insurance has become more competitive in the last decade. A quick way to access several sites at once is to go to money.co.uk, where you’ll find a list of ‘Top Ten Car Insurance Comparison Sites UK’. Over two dozen of the best known insurers are listed here, including gocompare.com, comparethemarket.com, quotezone.co.uk, tescocompare.com and many more.
Get a minimum of three quotes and then see if your existing insurer is willing to match the cheapest. Of course, you must understand the full details of what’s being offered; check the ‘Default Offer’ on the site and make sure it includes all the cover you need.
When you are traveling for vacation, personal needs or business, a rental car provides convenience and comfort for getting around on your own schedule. Such travel can be full of thrills like visiting a new place, leaving your office desk for a while, and just getting out and doing new things. But driving a rental car comes with responsibilities and even the best drivers can get into an accident.
— When an accident occurs in a rental car, whose insurance covers the damages? —
Rental car companies usually ask the renter if they want optional insurance. Most renters decline this policy without a second thought, unless the state they are in requires it. After all, if you have a car for only a few days, what are the odds of getting into an accident?
Unfortunately the odds are high enough for an accident to occur while in possession of a rental car that many people are confronted with the panic such an accident produces. Their first thought is often, “I should have gotten the rental insurance.” This supplemental policy is specifically designed to protect consumers when they are in an accident in a rental vehicle. It keeps those consumers from taking on liability through their personal insurance policy.
Although you may feel the odds of a rental car accident are slim, you should still opt for rental car insurance coverage at the counter. This insurance usually only costs a few dollars per day but can really provide shelter in the aftermath of an auto accident. While supportive in such cases, do be aware that rental car insurance policies are minimal and have some restrictions, such as when the rental car driver is clearly negligent and caused the wreck.
— Operation of a Rental Car as an Uninsured Motorist —
When you opt out of the rental car insurance policy, your insurance provider is then responsible for damages incurred on that rental vehicle. This is the same coverage as if you were driving your own car at the time of the accident. However, the insurance company can sometimes preclude coverage if the driver is not operating his or her own vehicle. Thankfully, there are only a few states that allow such preclusion.
If you are from one of the states that allows insurance policies to only cover drivers operating their own personal vehicles, and you deny the rental car company’s optional insurance policy, what happens if you are in an accident in the uninsured rental vehicle? In essence, you become an uninsured motorist. The other party involved in the accident must then rely on their own policy to cover initial costs as part of uninsured motorist coverage. But this opens you up to being sued for damages from the collision to reimburse what the insurance company covered.
— Using Credit Card Insurance for a Rental Car Accident —
Realizing you were an uninsured motorist in a rental car accident can be terrifying. When this is the case, you still have one other possible avenues of security. That is, many credit card companies insure vehicles rented using their credit cards. This automatic perk may be something you do not realize you have until it is desperately needed.
In this century, where every other insurance company will be hovering over to indirectly convince that they are the best, what you need to do is shop around and compare. It should be the only task on which you will have your complete focus if you care about the kind of leap you will be taking according to your economic standards. You have to make sure that your money and time and trust in not built on a wrong foundation. If it is, then there are chances that your reliability might falter and crumble down in your crucial situations, just because you didn’t take the trouble to look for the best policy plan and selected the first one that you laid eyes on.
Factors responsible for comparing the car insurance policies:
- Different insurance companies have different comprehensive structures on their price list, premium rates, base rates and several other components. It is a mandatory need to go through the various plans offered by companies so that your ultimate quote is exactly according to the terms that you were looking for. Get to know the generic market rate and that rate might not only depend upon the price and model of your car. So, after comparing you can select the insurance company which will accommodate your needs in both quality and cost benefit in terms of that quality.
- If you compare the policies, you have the upper hand in terms of gaining maximum by paying the minimum. There are certain choices that you have to make while consideration of IDV and voluntary deductible that is, the excess that the insured has to pay over the period of the claim. An online differentiation of the corresponding rates might help you get over the benefit of the doubt and set the cost range according to your requirement and the amount you are ready to invest.
- Additional set of covers for your car which is your primary asset is mostly decided after you have weighed and balanced your requirements and the price you must pay to acquire those requirements. Hope to find the best fit after going through various add-on cover policies of different companies.
- It has now become a tradition to give various offers on car insurance to just engage and increase the number of people getting insured from their company. Parallel correlation of all the features that come with the discount and the other offers need to be understood so that you eventually don’t end up missing a good deal.
- Checking and re-checking the reviews of reputed resources is must. It is the final and yet the most important factor because it is only after reading a good review that you will decide to look over that company’s plan available in the industry. In case the reviews aren’t satisfying that human need for complacency, then you might not be interested in going through the compensation policy since you definitely won’t want to settle for less when it comes to your long term security.
Car insurance is a very important thing for every car owner, regardless of the location they are in. Every state gas got its own requirements. There are some requirements that the drivers must meet so as to be able to purchase insurance and be able to drive without getting into trouble. Also, car insurance can also be an expensive and complicated affair. Most drivers find themselves operating and they do not understand emergencies that are covered. It is important to speak to a professional about some insurance questions, but there are some basics that everyone looking for car insurance should understand.
Property and liability
In auto insurance claims, there are usually two types of claims that you can find and they are property and liability. Usually, liability will cover you the car owner for all reasons like intent to harm or negligence. Property insurance, on the other hand covers any damage that is inflicted on your car or damage inflicted on another car.
For the individuals who are wealthier, they have greater liability insurance because there is a great likelihood that they may get sued. Most time, these people are able to fix their cars in case of an accident.
The limits and the deductibles
Limits can be defined as the maximum amount of cash that the insurance company can pay for every claim of every policy. In most contracts, you will discover that there are set limits on both ends. Sometimes limits for property and liability can also be set. When the limits are lower, then the premiums are lower and vice versa.
On the other hand, deductible is the amount that you will need to settle yourself before the company takes over the claim. In such a case, there is a deductible for every occurrence and for every policy. When the deductible is raised, the premiums go down.
In most cases, the insured is required to have some coverage lines. There are many options to select from. You may choose to choose coverage in case you drive another car. There is also the option of adding others into the policy. A social coverage can also be selected for the theft of the car or vehicle parts.
Un-insured motorist coverage is very common. This is where uninsured motorists are covered. This comes in handy when there is an accident and the other party doesn’t have the required insurance.
Comparing the companies
Many of the contracts that have to do with cars have very similar details. Also, car insurance companies can be quite different from one another. If you select a great company, the services will also be great. You will employ better rates and coverage too.
Reviews can really help in the decision making process. You can ask your family and friends or check with local business bureaus. You may make comparisons based on the ratings that they enjoy. There are different systems that have been set so as to compare different companies. When the ratings are good, then you will definitely know that the company is sound financially.
Edmonton definitely lives up to its nickname, “Gateway to the North.” Being the fifth largest city in Canada and the home of almost 1 million people, Edmonton is flourishing. Together with its infrastructure growth and population, there is a surge of vehicles on Edmonton’s roads. All these drivers need to get around, and there’s no shortage of routes to get anywhere; with a network of connecting roads, you can get from Summerside to St. Albert with ease. For all those who didn’t know, AdjusterLicenseOnline has recently been honored as having one of the best online Adjuster courses. To apply, click Texas department of insurance adjuster license Our online courses offer several benefits over classroom training, including savings on hotels, transportation, meals and various other expenses.
Whether you’re taking a road trip across the prairies or commuting daily via Calgary Trail, all Edmonton drivers need car insurance. Rates are changing in Alberta, which is why every driver in Edmonton should take advantage of price comparison shopping to get the best rate.
Let’s see what’s going on with auto insurance in Edmonton.
The Average car Insurance rates in Edmonton and Alberta
Alberta auto insurance premiums on average were $122/month in 2017, while Ontario auto insurance premiums averaged around $161/month in 2017. Drivers in Albertan pay around 25 per cent less for car insurance than Ontario drivers.
It’s interesting to note that on average, women pay less for Alberta auto insurance premiums than men – $116/month compared to $126/month paid by men in 2017, but this is pretty much standard across Canada.
Young drivers in Edmonton (aged 25 and under) paid around $187/month in 2017 for Alberta car insurance. Alberta auto insurance premiums go down as drivers grow older. For example, in 2017, people aged 31-35 paid around $152/month, people aged 46-50 paid around $122/month, and people aged 56-60 paid around $100/month.
Alberta drivers with a taste for luxury vehicles can expect their car insurance rates to increase. Drivers with cars valued between $40,000 – $80,000 paid around $170/month for their premiums in 2017.
For Albertans choosing to buy a modest vehicle valued between $10,000 and $20,000, they can expect their Alberta auto insurance premium to be about $123/month. This means rates would be similar for luxury brand older models of compact car brands such as Kia, Mazda, Ford etc.
Facts to Know about Auto Insurance
- LowestRates.ca (an online rate comparison website for auto insurance, credit card rates, loans and mortgages) launched its 2018 Auto Insurance Price Index report. This is Canada’s only price index to use proprietary data to track the average quarterly cost for car insurance paid by Canadians. The data comes from the hundreds of thousands of quotes processed every year by LowestRates.ca. The index report shows that since the fourth quarter of 2016, the price for Alberta auto insurance has been increasing by 5.1 per cent in 2017, which means that the average Alberta driver paid more for car insurance in 2017 than in 2016.
- Police have jurisdiction when it comes to deciding who is criminally responsible for a motor vehicle accident but when it comes to the auto insurance claims, the insurance company makes the decision. It’s the insurance company that will investigate the crash and make a ruling about who was at fault – which ultimately decides whether or not the insured will have to pay the deductible.
- Statistics from the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s (IBC) 2014 top 10 most stolen cars revealed that cars made between 1999 and 2007 were in the top 10. Industry experts believe that part of the reason thieves target older model cars is because fewer of them have anti-theft devices. Additionally, the IBC states that sometimes car owners make it too easy for car thieves to get away with their vehicles. Around 20 per cent of all stolen vehicles had the keys left in them.
- Although parking tickets are a pain and an avoidable expense for drivers, insurance companies aren’t concerned with how many a driver has; thus, they don’t affect car insurance rates. However, if tickets aren’t paid, you won’t be able to renew your driver’s license or registration; and if get your driver’s license suspended it will affect your insurance rates.
In Calgary, driving isn’t always easy. Drivers must brave weather that can change quickly, and heavy rush hour traffic. Regardless, you’ll always need car insurance, whether you are daily commuter, weekend adventurer, or an occasional driver.
Average Car Insurance Costs in Calgary and Alberta
Although Alberta has a private insurance market, the insurance rates themselves are still regulated by the provincial government. There are two agencies in Alberta that oversee car insurance rates: The Automobile Insurance Rate Board and the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance.
In 2004, Alberta implemented a premium grid on auto insurers, settings maximum premium levels for basic coverage. The grid takes into account where you live, the number of years you’ve been licensed, the number of claims you’ve had in the last six years, and how many driving convictions you have on your record. But it is still important to shop around because even with the premium grid, auto insurance rates vary wildly within Alberta.
If you are aged 25 or under in Alberta, you are considered young and will pay around $187/month for Alberta car insurance. However, as you get older your premiums will go down. For example, you’ll pay around $152/month at ages 31-35, about $122/month at ages 46-50, and around $100/month at ages 56-60.
Auto insurance rates in Alberta are determined by a variety of factors:
- Your gender and age
- Your driving experience
- Type of vehicle you drive
- Location and use of your vehicle
- Your driving record
- The amount of coverage you’ve selected
How to get the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Alberta
- Compare rates among various companies and don’t feel like you must stick with the insurers your parents used. There are many insurance providers available, and often they use competitive pricing, meaning different providers may offer the same policies at greatly different prices. Talk to a broker (who compares auto insurance rates in Calgary for you) or use online tools to see where you can get the best rate for the coverage that is right for you. As well, reading auto insurance reviews will help you avoid unexpected issues. Search online for opinions using blogs and forums.
- Sometimes you can get better rates if you bypass the broker or agent and deal with a direct insurer, like Belairdirect or TD Insurance.
- Use rate tools and calculators. For instance, if your credit card includes rental car protection, you can save 20 per cent by paying with it. You can use a credit card navigator tool to assist you in finding insurance for a rental car compatible with the value add-ons on your credit card. You can also use an insurance price comparison tool to compare insurance premiums.
- Bundle your car insurance in Calgary with other policies. For example, if you have multiple vehicles and a home to insure, you can bundle them with one insurance company to get a bundle discount. Insurance companies reward their customers for giving them more business.
- If you got your policy you were a smoker and can prove you have quit smoking since then and have not returned to it for at least one year, they will reduce your insurance premiums. Smokers typically pay double the amount for premiums!
- Invest in driving a hybrid vehicle. By purchasing a hybrid, you may save on more than just gas! Inquire with your insurance company to see if they offer discounts for hybrid vehicles.
Learning the ins and outs of general and classic insurance coverage will help you get the right coverage at the right price. A number of factors determine the particular drivers that insurance companies give the best premium rates to.
Before purchasing a new vehicle or a classic vehicle, always research insurance rates. Your insurance agent can inform you which new cars have the lowest insurance rates. Knowing the rates can help you in choosing the car that is best for you. By purchasing a car that has a good safety rating, you can save a lot on your car insurance.
When shopping for vehicle insurance coverage for your teen, ask your agent to give you a quote, both as a separate policy and also as an addition to your existing policy. In some cases, you may want to insure your teenager separately.
Many people believe that auto insurance rates go down automatically for young drivers once they reach 25. However, the truth is that rates slowly decrease from the time a driver turns 18 years old, as long as he or she maintains a clean driving record.
There are insurance plans beyond what is legally required that offer better protection. You are going to have to pay a higher deductible, but it might work out for you in the long run. Using uninsured motorist protection protects you from financial liability if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, or if any driver that causes you damage is not carrying insurance.
Don’t do monthly payments for your classic auto insurance bill. Insurance providers add a convenience fee to monthly payments. These extra fees can become significant over time. It can also become a hassle on top of all your other monthly bills. The fewer payments you make, the more money you save.
The best way to keep your insurance down is to avoid tickets and accidents. Getting in an accident will drastically increase your rates. Drive defensively and know your limits. Stay out of situations in which you have a higher chance of an accident. Do not drink and drive and stay home if the weather is bad.
Most people pay a different premium for auto insurance. This is not entirely due to different driving situations and different vehicles, either. Certain people can get the same amount of coverage, if not more, and save money. You can easily do this if you take the time to learn the auto insurance tricks.
You now know that it is possible to find affordable insurance rates with a great company. By actively using the tips described in this article, you can have lower car insurance premiums.