In Calgary, driving isn’t always easy. Drivers must brave weather that can change quickly, and heavy rush hour traffic. Regardless, you’ll always need car insurance, whether you are daily commuter, weekend adventurer, or an occasional driver.
Average Car Insurance Costs in Calgary and Alberta
Although Alberta has a private insurance market, the insurance rates themselves are still regulated by the provincial government. There are two agencies in Alberta that oversee car insurance rates: The Automobile Insurance Rate Board and the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance.
In 2004, Alberta implemented a premium grid on auto insurers, settings maximum premium levels for basic coverage. The grid takes into account where you live, the number of years you’ve been licensed, the number of claims you’ve had in the last six years, and how many driving convictions you have on your record. But it is still important to shop around because even with the premium grid, auto insurance rates vary wildly within Alberta.
If you are aged 25 or under in Alberta, you are considered young and will pay around $187/month for Alberta car insurance. However, as you get older your premiums will go down. For example, you’ll pay around $152/month at ages 31-35, about $122/month at ages 46-50, and around $100/month at ages 56-60.
Auto insurance rates in Alberta are determined by a variety of factors:
- Your gender and age
- Your driving experience
- Type of vehicle you drive
- Location and use of your vehicle
- Your driving record
- The amount of coverage you’ve selected
How to get the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Alberta
- Compare rates among various companies and don’t feel like you must stick with the insurers your parents used. There are many insurance providers available, and often they use competitive pricing, meaning different providers may offer the same policies at greatly different prices. Talk to a broker (who compares auto insurance rates in Calgary for you) or use online tools to see where you can get the best rate for the coverage that is right for you. As well, reading auto insurance reviews will help you avoid unexpected issues. Search online for opinions using blogs and forums.
- Sometimes you can get better rates if you bypass the broker or agent and deal with a direct insurer, like Belairdirect or TD Insurance.
- Use rate tools and calculators. For instance, if your credit card includes rental car protection, you can save 20 per cent by paying with it. You can use a credit card navigator tool to assist you in finding insurance for a rental car compatible with the value add-ons on your credit card. You can also use an insurance price comparison tool to compare insurance premiums.
- Bundle your car insurance in Calgary with other policies. For example, if you have multiple vehicles and a home to insure, you can bundle them with one insurance company to get a bundle discount. Insurance companies reward their customers for giving them more business.
- If you got your policy you were a smoker and can prove you have quit smoking since then and have not returned to it for at least one year, they will reduce your insurance premiums. Smokers typically pay double the amount for premiums!
- Invest in driving a hybrid vehicle. By purchasing a hybrid, you may save on more than just gas! Inquire with your insurance company to see if they offer discounts for hybrid vehicles.
Learning the ins and outs of general and classic insurance coverage will help you get the right coverage at the right price. A number of factors determine the particular drivers that insurance companies give the best premium rates to.
Before purchasing a new vehicle or a classic vehicle, always research insurance rates. Your insurance agent can inform you which new cars have the lowest insurance rates. Knowing the rates can help you in choosing the car that is best for you. By purchasing a car that has a good safety rating, you can save a lot on your car insurance.
When shopping for vehicle insurance coverage for your teen, ask your agent to give you a quote, both as a separate policy and also as an addition to your existing policy. In some cases, you may want to insure your teenager separately.
Many people believe that auto insurance rates go down automatically for young drivers once they reach 25. However, the truth is that rates slowly decrease from the time a driver turns 18 years old, as long as he or she maintains a clean driving record.
There are insurance plans beyond what is legally required that offer better protection. You are going to have to pay a higher deductible, but it might work out for you in the long run. Using uninsured motorist protection protects you from financial liability if you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident, or if any driver that causes you damage is not carrying insurance.
Don’t do monthly payments for your classic auto insurance bill. Insurance providers add a convenience fee to monthly payments. These extra fees can become significant over time. It can also become a hassle on top of all your other monthly bills. The fewer payments you make, the more money you save.
The best way to keep your insurance down is to avoid tickets and accidents. Getting in an accident will drastically increase your rates. Drive defensively and know your limits. Stay out of situations in which you have a higher chance of an accident. Do not drink and drive and stay home if the weather is bad.
Most people pay a different premium for auto insurance. This is not entirely due to different driving situations and different vehicles, either. Certain people can get the same amount of coverage, if not more, and save money. You can easily do this if you take the time to learn the auto insurance tricks.
You now know that it is possible to find affordable insurance rates with a great company. By actively using the tips described in this article, you can have lower car insurance premiums.